Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Stages of a Relationship

I am the opinionator. This is my opinion. This is NOT the opinion of 100% of my closest girlfriends and confidants.

An illustration of my my dating life during my 20s:

I took a nice 5-year hiatus from dating in order to focus on my self, family, friends, and work. I'd say it paid off. Around the time I hit my 30s, I decided to give it another go, but only after receiving confirmation from multiple close friends that I was "ready".

With my confidence restocked, out into the mean world of dating I went. (You can read all about a couple first dates here and here.) And here are the stages of relationships according to me.

dating around
You're seeing him, and you're seeing other people or would consider it if the opportunity arose. There's no expectation of exclusivity between you two, or of mutual social planning.

dating exclusively
You're seeing him and nobody else. You have mutually agreed -- out loud -- to not date other people.

boytoyfriend
My friend Emily introduced this word into my vocabulary. You need two hands to count the number of times you've "been out" and don't really consider these outings to be "dates" any longer.

boyfriend
You two attend events as a couple and there's an assumption that if one has a social event scheduled, there will be some degree of wardrobe coordination. (Just kidding about that last part.) (Or am I?)

Facebook-official
Say it loud, say it proud! Mark Zuckerberg empowers you to share the news with the world.

broken up
I've never actually achieved the Facebook-official status, but I've seen it happen many times. So-and-so changed her status from "In a relationship" to "Single". Ouch. Aren't you glad you told the world he was your one-and-only?

My break-ups have, for the most part, been pretty healthy learning experiences. The most recent one actually occurred... on Monday. No tears shed, and definitely for the best.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... and again... and again: I'd rather be single than with the wrong person. It's the balm that soothes the souls of women everywhere. Especially once we hit our 30s.

Yes, I did file this article under "chores" and "work." This provides you, dear reader, with a little insight to my state of mind when it comes to dating.

2 comments:

  1. Rock on with your bad self. Just make sure your standards are high, but not impossible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot a stage: It's Over But We're Still Together. That one was my specialty a time... or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete