Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I got a guy fer that

I'm like the Angie's List of the little things. Need a tailor? I got a guy fer that. Need your shoes repaired? I got a guy fer that.

Here's my list of Guys Fer That, tried-and-true resources who will get you through your week.

Q: Hey, Bhan, where do you get your shoes repaired?
A: Go see my guy Franco at Franco's Shoe Repair.


Website
Phone
608-255-8020
Hours
bankers' (M-F @ 0900 - 1600) 
Location
1213 Regent Street, Madison WI
Price
~$5 per pair, depending on the repair



Franco's is both easily missed and impossible to miss




Q: Hey, Bhan, where do you get your pants hemmed/zippers replaced/dresses altered?
A: Go see my guys girls at Moments to Cherish.


These ladies do the kind of quality work you expect from... someone else. Like your grandmother. Pieces are usually ready for pick-up within a week. And it's conveniently located next to the Great Dane, so... you know... you can have a beer after you drop stuff off. (Call me!)

website
phone      
(608) 274-5683
hours    
normal business hours
location  
2990 Cahill Main, Fitchburg WI
price       
~$10 per article for clothing, and ask for a quote for dress alteration 


Q: Hey, Bhan, where do you get waxed?
A: Go see my guy lady Beth at Escape du Monde.

You think this is TMI? It's probably one of the most-asked questions and most frequently talked-about topics among groups of girls. Or, at least among my group of girls.


Website
Phone
608-273-6060
Location
Price
prices listed on website



it's exactly unlike this


Alright. Now on to a topic that won't make you boys barf.


Q: Hey, Bhan, who do you go to for awesome bacon?
A: Go see my guy 'n' his girl, Johnny and Lindsey, at PPORK. 


Website
Phone
none yet
Hours
TBD
Location
various Wisconsin festivals throughout the summer
Price
worth it



what kinda smoke do they use for reggae-cured, you ask? 


Q: Hey, Bhan, where do you buy your iPhone accessories?
A: Go see my guy friend Stephanie and her online store.

At one point or another, we've all limped along with a broken phone case. This was true for me until I learned about this little nugget. Fast shipping indeed!


Website
Phone
online only
Hours
24x7
Price
way cheaper than the retailers


Here are a couple actual screen shots to illustrate the price gouging you experience when buying from The Other Guy....

$34.95 (!!!)
 ... compared to buying from my guy.

$23.18 YA HEARD


Q: Hey, Bhan, which vet do you take Monkey and George to?
A: Go see my guy, Dr Brynn Bruss, at Odyssey Vets.


Website
Phone
608-288-7838
Hours
M-Th @ 0800 - 2000, F @ 0800 - 1800, Sa @ 0900 - 1300
Location
Price
varies based on service



He's the most knowledgeable, patient, and kind vet I've ever worked with. (And I'm not just saying this because he reads this blog.) He truly empowers me to be a better pet parent. Over the last 6 years, Dr Bruss helped me keep Sydney comfortable in his final days and was by my side during the euthanasia. I now take both Monkey and George to see Dr Bruss and I think we can all agree my wee ones are the best (and healthiest!) around.

Monkey: "Can you even see me?"
George: "I'm planning your demise."

Q: Hey, Bhan, you look so relaxed. Where do you go for a good massage? 
A: Go see my guy, Dave, at Massage Envy.


Website
Phone
(608) 663-1900
Hours
Su @ 1000 - 1800, M-F @ 0800 - 2200, Sa @ 0800 - 1800
Location
Price
membership fees < walk-in fees


I opt for a one-hour sports massage, which isn't too deep-tissue (there are no heroes on a massage table) and incorporates stretching and range of motion. It's truly excellent.

Whether you need your your bacon cured or your stress relieved... I got a guy fer that. And tell him/her/them that I sent ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment