Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

My sister and I are nothing if not crafty. She refinished the face of her dishwasher with chalkboard paint for her toddler. GENIUS. We both have project lists longer than we are tall, which puts me at a slight disadvantage since I have a couple inches on her.

I don't know if this specific scenario plays out in her life, but I'd venture to say it does.

Me: "I have so, so many things going on right now. Are you ok with us just staying in tonight?"
Friend: "Sure thing."
Me: "Great, because I was thinking we could bake cookies to send to my family and friends. With home made icing. I'm going to need to stop at the grocery store to buy powdered sugar. And at the craft store to pick up little decorative baggies, and while I'm there remind me to get that can of red acrylic paint...."

And on... and on... and on.

Not all projects require a lot of thought, preparation, or specialized stuff, however. When I moved into this apartment last October, I took the bigger bedroom with the smaller shower. I now have a shower stall instead of a tub. This is fine, for the most part, and did require just a small lifestyle adjustment on my part. The lovely over-the-pipe shower caddy thing stuck out from the wall just enough that I had to step forward in the shower stall to the point that my face pressed up against the far wall.

There would be lathering. And rinsing. But no repeating. Not too comfortable. Easy enough to ditch the shower caddy thing to free up some arm space.

It rested on the floor in my bathroom for about a week while I added other items to the Goodwill pile. After all, I HATE ERRANDS and I'd be damned if I was going to Goodwill just to drop off this crusty old... wait a second.

Crusty to some is 'weathered' and 'full of character' to others.

Things I actually use and don't just dust every week.
So with one hammer and three nails it now hangs on the open wall space above my toilet. I am very proud of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment