Tuesday, May 22, 2012

what the bleep

I'm not here to complain about Uverse, my cable TV provider. It's basically great. But there's something about it I'd change if I could. Let's start with a list of assumptions about our household.
  1. My roommate and I are both over the age of 18 -- way, way over that age
  2. We basically never have a minor in our house watching TV
  3. Uverse and the nice people at AT&T probably know that based on our account(s) with them (he and I both pay for other AT&T services) 
  4. With the exception of made-for-kids programming, TV show producers know their audience consists of a mix of people over and under the age of 18
All of that being said, then, WHY DO THEY BLEEP OUT ALL THE SWEAR WORDS FROM MY SHOWS?!?


When I kick back and watch Deadliest Catch and see the Cornelia Marie violently listing 14 degrees to the starboard causing Captain Derrick to smash his head on a doorframe and shout some obscenities...


that's some big water, Jack


...I don't want to hear this:


MOTHER BLEEPER! 
FOR BLEEP'S SAKE! 
THAT BLEEPING HURT!


Don't get me wrong. I don't need profanity coming at me day and night. I generally believe it should be reserved for the struck-my-thumb-with-a-hammer moments. And when those moments happen on TV, I want to hear every last glorious syllable of those curse words.


TV could be awesome, if it only knew I'm over 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment