Tuesday, December 11, 2012

gramma chair

When I was a little kid and my paternal grandparents passed away I inherited a chair.

A lovely, love-filled, lovingly used chair.

Time finally came for me to replace the 50-year-old upholstery. 50 years. That's a good run.

By calling around to the fine furnishings stores in town, I ended up working with Bill at McGilligan's Upholstery Shop. He gave me both the advice and space I needed to transform the chair while still maintaining its historical integrity and sentimental value. 



Check out that velour-like rust-toned floral fabric. 
Ain't that something. 
Momentarily considered keeping it. 
Came to my senses.





Bill rips joyfully into the old upholstery, 
revealing a charming stitching detail....




Biscuit tufting!
That's the checkerboard pattern of fabric-covered buttons sewn into the back. 
A lovely and typical characteristic of chairs from this era. 





I spent an hour or so arriving at this amazing tweed, 
and another hour finding a paisley.
I didn't want to commit to a mustard color.
Keep looking.





Oh yes! 




The final fabric choices paired together.
Tweed for the chair body and paisley for the seat-back.




The finished product, being treated with indifference by Monkey and George...




... and here with fewer pets and a favorite new throw pillow...




... and once more, this time from the back. 




What you can't see from the outside
is the special note that Bill stitched into the padding of the chair.
I'll enjoy reading this little nugget when I reupholster the chair
in 2052.



No comments:

Post a Comment