Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How NOT to Lose 2 Pounds a Week: Under-eat

Recently I moved. As in house. Admittedly, I didn't move very far, but I did move all of my stuff by myself (with the exception of my TV and media cabinet). Boxes, dressers, even my couch.

Appreciate your help, Bon. Happy to help, Bhan.

In doing so, I managed to burn a lot more calories than I had time and energy to consume. We're talking about upwards of 5000 extra calories. For me, a calorie counter, that's as bad of news as if I'd gone over by as much.

Even with putting two weeks between weigh-ins, my weight loss reached a grand total of 1 pound. And that might be a bit generous.

FRUSTRATION! 

In hindsight, I chalk this lack of progress up to the fact that I was under-eating for several consecutive days.

There are two schools of thought on this topic.
  1. Eat most or all of your calories burned through exercise
  2. Eat back about 1/2 of them. 

I subscribe to the first concept.

My calorie limit stands at 1470/day, calculated based on my current and goal weight along with my preferred weight loss pace. I have to reach 1470 calories per day in order to lose 2 pounds per week. If I burn 300 calories through exercise, I eat back about the same amount.* For me, under-eating caused me to hit a brief weight loss plateau.

Under-eating doesn't bring me closer to my goal.

*For days when I'm coming in under my goal, I eat one or two spoonfuls of peanut butter. Jif, extra-crunchy. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment