Monday, November 28, 2011

Sponge Bob had it right

Our favorite square yellow porifera* had it right when he sang the Best Day Ever. If you're a childless adult and STILL don't know what song I'm referring to, well, then good on you for having something better to do on Saturday mornings. Check it out here. Listening once should get it pretty well cemented in your brain.

I, uhhh..., watch this while doing grown-up things. Like laundry.

Instead of waking at 6:00 as usual, Monkey and George let one another and me sleep in a little. We dozed and read a gory crime novel (Blow Fly by Patricia Cornwell) for an extra hour. Well, OK, I did most of the reading. They did a commendable job of not needing a bathroom break.

I quickly selected an outfit consisting of a very rad blazer that never fit properly, and some comfortable heels.

My hair cooperated -- which, if you know me at all, can understand the importance of this event -- and the coffee tasted just right.

There was no traffic on the way to work this morning. None. Despite reports of slow-downs

Despite being at my desk most of the day, I didn't get a single abrupt, frenzied call from a sales guy. (You know who you are.)

Not a single time in an email or phone call did I encounter the word 'sputum.' Pleasant change of pace.

For some reason, I recalculated my PTO and discovered a bit of a tremendous amount of surplus. My boss ran an independent audit of sorts and came up with the same number. And then approved me basically taking off every afternoon between tomorrow and 2012.

And just when I'm sitting down to try... just try... to have an average day, I get a text message from one of my very favorite, best friends in the whole wide world. She quietly traveled from Seattle to Appleton for Thanksgiving and had an evening to kill, so she's coming to Madison for dinner with me!

I plan to walk very slowly and carefully to the car, drive the posted speed limit, look both ways TWICE while walking the dog, and generally hope and pray that the universe doesn't take away all my good luck.

* I'm dating an invertebrate paleontologist specifically so he can remind me of all the stuff I learned in college and then forgot, like "what the hell kind of animal do you call Sponge Bob?"

No comments:

Post a Comment