Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Someteenth Move

this post is long-overdue because it sat at the bottom of my Drafts pile for about six months

whoops, and enjoy! 
_________________________________________________________

This week and next mark two life milestones for me: Moving out of my own apartment and the sale of my dad's condo. I kicked things off last weekend by helping two friends move. Between the three of us girls, we have extensive experience in loading 14' UHauls.

While hauling one cart of boxes, I conducted an informal count of the number of times I've moved. At that point, I think I got up to 17. Now, with paper and pen (and without doing any Girl Math), my total comes closer to 30. That's like 1 per year.


  1. In September, 1979, I was born and brought to our family home on Shoreland Avenue in Whitefish Bay, WI.
  2. During the summer of 1981 my family moved to Ash Court in Mequon, WI. We stayed there till...
  3. 1993 when Dad moved to some Brown Deer apartments and...
  4. 1994 when Mom found a place in Cedarburg...
  5. while I lived part of the school-year with the Preusser family in Thiensville.
  6. Finally Dad and I moved to Laurel Lakes apartments in Thiensville and 
  7. Mom bought a nice brick house on a corner lot in Littleton, CO.
  8. Not long after, Dad and I moved to a bigger place in Mequon Trails apartments in Mequon, WI while we house-shopped and, at long last...
  9. We bought and moved into the condo on Elder Tree Court in Mequon, WI.
  10. In August 1997 I moved to Breese Hall...
  11. And home for the summer...
  12. And into a different room in Breese Hall...
  13. And home for the summer, until...
  14. In September 1999 I moved with two roommates to an upper flat on Irving and Main Street in Oshkosh, WI. The three of us stayed there for a year and...
  15. In September 2000 I moved with the girls to our new home on Melvin Avenue in Oshkosh, WI.
  16. After graduating, in August 2002, I moved to my first apartment at Regatta Bay in Annapolis, MD, where I lived with a boy.
  17. In January 2003, the aforementioned relationship having ended, I moved with a roommate to my second apartment at Regatta Bay in Annapolis, MD, and...
  18. By June 2003 I moved in with a new boyfriend to my third and final apartment at Regatta Bay in Annapolis, MD. When THAT relationship ended...
  19. In January 2004 I moved to a house with friends in Bowie, MD, my last east coast home.
  20. By June 2004 I had moved back to Wisconsin and lived at the Mequon condo while looking for work over the summer and...
  21. In August 2004 I moved in with Joyce on Geneva Drive in Gurnee, IL.
  22. I got my own place in March 2005 when I moved into the apartments on Grand Avenue in Gurnee, IL.
  23. Having learned nothing from the previous two disasters, in autumn 2005 I moved in with a third boyfriend to a scuzzy house on Hickory Grove in Racine, WI.
  24. Thankful to my supportive family who has yet to say "I told you so" to my face, in January 2006 I crawled back home moved back in with Joyce to finish out the school year.
  25. In June 2006, I boxed up and moved my stuff and self back to Dad's condo in Mequon for another summer. My last summer there with Dad because...
  26. In September 2006 Epic moved me to Madison.
  27. And, finally, in October 2011 Dad sold the condo and moved to Gurnee; I moved two doors down to a new apartment, saying goodbye to the place I called home for the longest period of time since I was an adolescent.
The last time I lived in a place this long, I pegged my jeans, wanted braces because all my friends had them, played soccer every waking moment, didn't have a job, and I couldn't get enough Ace of Base.

I still love Ace of Base. Some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment