Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Happy Unniversary, Bhan!

One year ago today I quit a good job, despite the fact I didn't have a new one "in this economy." My job hadn't changed. I did.

My life as a project manager took me on the road much of the year, sometimes for extended stretches and even a couple times overseas. It was exciting for a while. 

Before putting in my notice, I spent a long time considering my options and ultimately decided it was my wellness or my job. They were mutually exclusive. 

the final straw
The year before quitting, I made the conscious decision to adopt a dog and learned that I loved being home with her more than anything else. Fortunately, I have amazing friends who took excellent care of Monkey when I traveled. Monkey got downright excited for her sleepovers! One Sunday, however, my friend came to pick up Monkey who immediately hopped in the car. As they were driving away, instead of looking with excitement down the road toward a fun-filled week with her buddies, Monkey looked back at me. That look broke my heart. I put in my notice the next day. Monkey learned in a couple months what it took me four years to learn: a life traveling for work is no life at all (for us).

since September 6, 2010
I immediately organized a retirement party. Got too drunk with friends and cut off all my hair. Visited with family who filled my heart and helped me rebuild my confidence. 


Spent all of every day looking for a new job and worrying about depleting my savings. Scheduled interviews. And two fast weeks later, landed the best job I could imagine.

I began blogging about food and taking loads of food pics...


... adopted Monkey's favorite (and only) sibling, a cat named George ...



...cleaned the hell out of my apartment, took up painting, read through my personal library, gave away all my fat clothes, contemplated dating, and started living my life.

2 comments:

  1. Bhan! Congratulations! I admire your courage to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. still love this story...just read it to myself for a bedtime treat!

    LYLYS!

    ReplyDelete