Thursday, October 6, 2011

Frieday and Faturday

You may have heard, noticed, or read that I'm working on losing 2 pounds a week. During an upcoming annual check-up with my doctor, I'll determine a healthy goal weight. In the meantime, I keep truckin' along with a balanced diet and regular workout schedule.

But let's be honest. My intake goal is only 1500 calories per day. That's not very much to start with, and I "earn back" calories by burning them through exercise. As you can see in this illustration, I am pretty regularly coming in under target.

My Fitness Pal view of one week's worth of calorie consumption


There comes a time -- about once a week -- when I consider all those hard-earned, saved-up calories, I do a little Girl Math, and contemplate really fun ways to spend them. There's only one solution.

Frieday or Faturday

One day a week I indulge. I mean REALLY indulge. 1500 extra calories goes a long way to satisfying the fat kid in my soul. (Update 10/10/2011: Turns out, according to this article on MSN.com, scheduled indulgences are a key factor in long-term healthy weight maintenance. Thanks, Megan, for the hot tip!)

Nachos? Sure.



Beer? Absofreakinglutely.

Collection of bottles on display at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, Ireland. March 2009.

French fries? Double the order and give me a side of mayo.



As long as I stay within my budget, on Frieday or Faturday I simply don't overthink my meal planning and this actually helps me stay on track. Conveniently, my Faturday falls on the weekend which is when I take time for more intensive workouts anyhow. So, after doing more girl math, I still come out ahead.

The message is this: don't deprive yourself. 

For me, my weight loss is definitely the result of a lifestyle change and not a diet. By allowing regularly scheduled indulgences that remain within bounds, I'm guaranteeing my own continued success and vastly reducing the risk of falling off the wagon.

Stay on the wagon.

2 comments:

  1. And be cautious...less isn't always more when it comes to calories!! You want to eat every few hours to keep the metabolism fires burning! If you eat too few calories, your body goes into starvation mode (even if you are not actually feeling like you are starving) and everything you eat - even the good stuff - will be stored as FAT! boo! But great job on the lifestyle change, Sio! Love ya, Hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog post. I'm a fan of indulging on occasion...even once a week. The problem for most folks is that they have difficulty getting back on track the next day. It sounds like you don't have this issue so, by all means, indulge :)

    ReplyDelete