Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ten Thousand Kisses

I didn't know I was ready, and She wasn't sure, either. But two years ago on a Wednesday afternoon -- when the doors were closed to the public -- I went in to meet her. She was skinny, barfing, shedding in clumps, and bright-eyed.

How much? She was on sale. The Dane County Humane Society puts 'adoption guarantee' dogs -- those who are cute, young, and housebroken -- on sale when the place fills up. Like all treasures, this one was on the clearance rack.

Bringing home Baby
We spent the long Labor Day weekend trying out her new crate...


... and basically reassuring me that she wouldn't pee in the house or chew up my shoes. Doggy family membership 101.

She was quick to adapt,especially when it came to learning her name, Sprite Seren Bristol Monkey.


Monkey found privacy...

"Can you even see me?"
 ... her favorite Wicked Witch-style sleeping spot under the bed...

 
... and a lifetime pass to Couch Town.




She made friends with the most hardened of criminals, Stella...

We were NOT just gossiping about boys and ordering delivery pizza. Nope.

... and was the namesake and focus of Monkey Fridays where she didn't just go to work with me -- she went to meetings and did the mail rounds!

She could jump that. Don't let the "I'm jailed" pose fool you.

Monkey even won over the heart of a very important man who now calls her his granddoggy.


And last year gained a snuggle-buddy in her new brother, George.

My kids.
Every night, when I tell Monkey I hoped she has sweet dreams, I promise her ten thousand kisses for every moment she spent alone on the street hoping for a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment